10 Tips To Frosting A Beautiful Cake. Including how to pipe, how to assemble, and how to stencil a cake.
1.To successfully frost a cake and keep your layers from falling apart: wrap each layer separately in plastic wrap, and flash freeze them for 30 minutes before icing. Or better yet: Attempting to spread frosting onto warm cake layers is a recipe for sloppy disaster. Chill your cake layers for at least 2 hours, or better, overnight. If you’ve made your frosting ahead, make sure it’s at room temperature before you start.
2. Frost with a spatula. Dip the spatula in hot water to clean off any crumbs or accumulated frosting. A warm spatula can also be used to smooth out uneven frosting.
3. If you don’t have a cake stand, turn a large, wide-bottomed mixing bowl upside down and place a plate on top of it. Frosting is easier when the cake is elevated and closer to eye level.
4. Cool your cake layers upside down to help flatten them out, which will make your final cake much prettier and easier to assemble.
5. Be generous when you start to frost. You can always scrape some off if you end up with too much, but if you start with too little, you risk pulling crumbs from the cake into the frosting.
6. Pipe a cake: Select a petal tip to pipe a ruffled edge along the cake or use a plain round tip to pipe dots across the top of the cake. If you don’t have a piping bag, put the frosting into a food-safe plastic bag and cut off the bottom tip of the bag. You won’t be able to control the level of piping detail, but it will give you a simple piping bag.
11 Basic Piping Techniques:
7. To create a cake with a glossy sheen: Right before you serve it, heat it up with a hair dryer, on medium heat, about one foot from the cake.
8. Top the cake with crunchy or chewy textures. If you want to cover the frosting or add a burst of color and texture, scatter sprinkles, chopped nuts, caramels, meringues, or candy over the top or sides of the cake. To add them to the sides of the cake, use your palms to gently press them into the frosting so they stick
9. How To Assemble and Frost a Layer Cake:
10. Create dramatic effects on any cake with stencils. Learn how easy it is to stencil a cake with royal icing:
Check out more of our Cooking Tips
See this delicious recipe: Pumpkin Bread with Pumpkin Butter Cream Frosting