Copycat Homemade Krispy Kremes. This yummy glazed doughnut recipe taste just like the original ones.
Copycat Homemade Krispy Kremes
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 teaspoon dry active yeast 8 ounces
- All-purpose flour a little under 2 cups
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ounce butter cold to room temperature
- dash salt oil
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 tablespoons hot water or as needed
- In a large measuring jug, combine the milk and boiling water. Add a teaspoon of the sugar and the yeast.
- Stir it gently, then leave it in a warm place for the yeast to activate.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, the rest of the sugar, and the salt. Cut in the butter using your fingers or a pas, blender, until it resembles crumbs.
- Add the egg (give it a quick beat) and yeast mixture to the flour mix, and mix into a smooth dough. This usually takes about 5 minutes of mixing.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly-floured counter and knead for about 5 to 10 minutes —it should feel springy and little bubbles should form under the surface.
- Place it back in the bowl, cover with a cloth or plastic wrap, and let rise for about an hour until double in size.
- Once risen, place the dough onto the counter and cut it into 4 pieces. One piece at a time, stretch it into a long rope about an inch to an inch and a half wide. Cut strips about an inch long, ball em up with your hands, and place them on a baking tray or wire rack to wait. Cover the doughnuts holes with a cloth to rise while you heat the oil to 375°F.
- Place the doughnuts into the oil and fry until golden brown on each side, about 2 minutes. Be sure to fry only a few at a time so they don't overcrowd and stick together.
- Drain on a paper towel or wire rack over a cloth, before glazing them. Be sure to glaze them warm, or else they won't get that delicious coverage!
For the Glaze:
- Just combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl and mix until smooth. Add just enough milk to make thin icing. Once the donuts are dipped halfway in the icing take them out, turn them icing side up, and place them on a cooling rack set inside a baking sheet.
Check out more of our Dessert Recipes