Homemade Strawberry Shortcakes. This dessert recipe is made with a homemade crust and homemade whipping cream. Makes the yummiest and flakiest strawberry shortcakes you will ever eat.
Homemade Strawberry Shortcakes
- 1 and 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 Tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 quart Heavy whipping cream or use cool whip if you want the easy way out.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 Cups Sugar
- 1 quart Fresh or frozen strawberries
- Sift together flour and salt. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or blending fork until pieces are the size of small peas.
- To make pastry extra tender and flaky, divide shortening in half. Cut in first half until mixture looks like corn meal. Then cut in remaining half until looks like small peas.
- Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon of the water over part of the flour mixture. Gently toss with a fork; push to one side of bowl.
- Sprinkle next Tablespoon water over dry part; mix lightly; push to moistened part at side. Repeat until all is moistened. Gather up with fingers; form into ball.
- On a lightly floured surface; flatten ball sightly and roll 1/4 inch thick. If edges split, pinch together. Always roll dough from center to edge. Using light strokes.
- To transfer pastry, roll it out gently. Use a round glass to cut into circles.
- Bake in very hot oven (450 degrees F.) 10 to 12 minutes.
Homemade Whipping cream:
- Mix heavy whip cream and vanilla with a mixer until thicken. About 5 to 10 minutes.
- Fold in 1/3 cups of sugar. Do not over mix after sugar is added.
- ****You could also use cool whip instead of making your own whipped topping.
- ****Layer crust then strawberries. Top with whip cream. Make it as high as you like.
- Take stems off fresh strawberries and cut up into small pieces. Place in bowl and put 1/3 cup sugar on top, stir and let set at least 1 hour. This will give you the sweet juice.
Check out more of our Dessert Recipes